View Single Post
Old 05-26-2013, 01:55 AM   #5
Jeremy Crawford

Angry Dealer "phoning it in" and can't solve clunking, binding noises

So I take it in, 2011 200 with 26,565 on it, love the car. One day, as driving, it sounds like there is a loose toolbox in the front end and I can feel it in the streering, gas pedal and the passenger is unnerved. So I take it in at 8 am on a Monday, they keep it till Tuesday and I suggest a rotor shield or something loose. They insist its my brakes (at 26.5k?). We argue, I approve it, and no, its not that. Although in some relationships I've had I would have paid way more than $20 to hear "you're right", somehow this isn't the same. As soon as I drive away, the noise is back. Good thing I have my 1969 Chevy C10 to drive around Fort Worth without HVAC and dodge tornadoes. Grrr.

So I take it back the next Monday, they keep it until Wednesday. Hey, the visor and map light are in after being on National Backorder (good band name). Ya sold a million cars, how is that? Anyway, after a 60 minute wait and after it cools off long enough to need a 5 minute drive to really get a full throated banging, the svc manager (who is very nice mind you) hears it and he says its a rack and pinion issue, and he will get a new one in. So I leave it, take the shuttle can and go without car for 3 days (now 5 total).

Weds night and most of Thursday its fine, but very tight to steer and pulls to the left. I check the invoice, and they adjusted the toe. Well, they didn't do it right, I didn't ask for that, and at no time is it correct for the car on its own want to turn left. Then an idiot pulls out in front of me, just as I am almost home. I screech to a stop from maybe 35 mph, the ABS does not activate and there is a loud "wham" inside the front end along with banging. Now I have a horrible "binding" sound if I let up on the gas, accelerate, brake or turn the steering wheel and about 30 minutes (2") into a left turn, it sounds like someone is hitting the sterring column with a wrench, really hard. Loud enough that people near intersections have pointed it out! So the car is demostrably worse now. Plus, if I turn the streering to the left, I nearly pop a "uey" and I have to crank it to the right. Tire pressure 34 all around when hot, 31 cold. I call and leave a message saying that they need to drive the damn thing before sending it back and THIS time I had better get a loaner, since I am self employed and between showing up for bids soaking wet in the 69 Chevy, it gets 8 mpg and I spent $100 in 3 days on gas. Killer. No return call since Friday 3 pm.

I've been going to a Mortiz. Is there a better dealership around here? Not having luck at Moritz, they just really seem "present" but not actively engaged. Plus, some of the answers I've heard them give to folks over the phone (well, how fast is it leaking out? Nah, it'll make it to the airport) shock the hell out of me.

Afraid to drive my lovely 1 year old red 200. What can I do? Take it to the same place for a 3rd try?
Jeremy Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote