View Single Post
Old 07-07-2015, 07:47 PM   #24
JP_200_Limited

I am currently dealing with this same front end clunking issue. I will be making my 3rd appearance at the dealership later this week. It started ever so slightly at the end of last summer between 40-50k miles, and went away in the winter, but now its back louder than ever this summer.

Symptoms are as follows:

You never hear a sound during the winter (or basically below 40-50 deg. weather) As soon as the season changes and warms up and you drive the car ~20 to 30 miles/minutes you hear a clunk about every 10 feet or so (or more on uneven pavement or bumps). The clunk can be felt in the steering. The audible noise is coming predominantly from the front left/center (more left than center) of the vehicle.

It seems that the entire engine compartment must be brought up to temperature before the problem announces itself. I have taken 2 service reps for a drive, and both times they nodded and agreed that its completely annoying and clunking like crazy. Then, they take the car out back, park it for 3 hours until someone can work on it..... and the car cools down, stops making the noise because its cooled..... and the technicians put it on the hoist and poof, they say nothing is wrong....

Apparently, they have to confer with the service rep to explain what they think is wrong... and since neither of them really knows whats wrong, they just agree to throw some parts on it and test drive it for 30 seconds around their parking lot and call it fixed. I even told them to drive the car --- PLEASE drive the car for 30 mins --- the gas is on me!.... both times they said it was fixed and both times a 30 minute drive proved otherwise.

So far, I have gotten a free lower control arm, free torsion stabilizer sway link or something, and some more work done on the right rear (when the noise was coming from the front) They recommended an alignment, and Chrysler threw that in for free ($150 bux) and the clunk has not even remotely stopped happening.

Even if they fix this, which I know will only be a Band-Aid fix, I will not buy another 200 again, this drive train is junk. It makes more creeks, groans, thumps and noises than a 150 year old haunted house in a hurricane.

I am now looking at Jeeps

Last edited by JP_200_Limited; 07-07-2015 at 07:59 PM.
JP_200_Limited is offline   Reply With Quote