Go Back   Chrysler 200 Forum > Chrysler 200 General Discussions > Chrysler 200 Wheels, Tires & Supension

Chrysler 200 Wheels, Tires & Supension Discuss Wheels, Tires, & Suspension for the Chrysler 200 here.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #1
csmithson63

Default Front End Issues

Bought a 2011 Chrysler 200 convertible in January of this year. We are having an issue with the front end making a loud clunking noise whenever it's being driven on uneven payment/roads, over speed bumps in parking garages, roads, parking lots. It starts making this noise after it's been driven for 30 miles or so. The farther it's driven, the louder and worse it gets.

We've had it into the dealer 3 times now. The first time they "couldn't reproduce the sound" so they torqued all the front end parts and called it good. This did not fix the noise.

The 2nd time the front end tech said "sounds like a strut", however they replaced the lower control arm instead of the strut.

This time it's been in the shop for 3 weeks, because I refuse to drive a car with front end issues. How can they possibly know it's safe to drive when they have no idea what it is? They ordered craddle bushings and just got them in, now they are waiting on Chrysler to tell the tech how to put them in.

The dealer has said they have even opened a "star case" with the Chrysler engineers, and we've been told that they haven't heard of anything like this.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and if so, was the dealer able to fix it, and what was the problem? This is frustrating as the vehicle only has 5,000 miles on it, and a new car should not sound like it's falling apart every time I drive it!! I would appreciate any feedback that anyone could provide.

Thanks!
csmithson63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
JonnyTbone

Default 200S Convertible Front End Clunking

I purchase a 2011 200S convertible in November. After 6 months (about 9000 miles) I started hearing a clucking sound coming from the left front end, when driving over a bumpy road or upon coming to a stop or when taking off from a stopped position. It does not do it all of the time, and it sound like a bad bushing or something loose. I brought it in to Chrysler, but they were unable to hear the noise while test driving it and did not observe any problem when they inspected the front end. Guess I'll just have to wait until it gets worse or more people start to report this :-(
JonnyTbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
csmithson63

JonnyTbone
Mine would start after I had been driving it awhile, usually after 40 - 50 miles. Adam at Allan Samuels Dodge opened a Star Ticket with the engineers, so the engineers at Chrysler DO KNOW about this issue. I took my car in when it was making the noise and had the front end tech ride with me. He actually did this twice. It took them forever to "recreate" the noise, but since Adam had heard it he knew there was something wrong. Now that they have changed the sway bar bushings and sway bar mounts, I have not heard it again. I picked my car back up on April 21, and it's still good. They told me the same thing the first 2 times I took my car in - they LOOKED at the front end and didn't see anything. That's when I decided to take it in and have someone ride with me when it as making the noise. Then they knew I wasn't crazy!! Good Luck!
csmithson63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
ktaylorm

PHEW... for a minute I thought I was nuts until I started reading this thread. Have a 2011 200 Ltd. with 20,000 miles that has had front end issues since day one. Within a week of having the car it had to be aligned because it pulled so bad to the right I couldn't let go of the steering wheel. Not a week later I had it back in the shop for a clunking noise in the right front; they replaced a brake caliber but noise is still there. For the past three or four months the front end noise has gotten so bad it sounds like it's going to fall apart. Took the car into the shop and they look at everything and said they couldn't find anything. Still have the noise and now I have a shimmy from 40mph-60mph; they said it was tires out of balance. Have had the tires balanced two times in as many months and still have the shimmy and still have the front end clunking, rattling, junk car falling apart noise. When I drive over roads that have bumps the steering wheel bounces and shakes like a ping pong ball on a tournament table. I'm a proud American but this will be my last American car if this is what one considers "normal". So back to the garage I go and let's see what they don't find this time. The companies who balanced my tires suggested it might be a bad axle - hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe I could suggest they check that.
ktaylorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:55 AM   #5
Jeremy Crawford

Angry Dealer "phoning it in" and can't solve clunking, binding noises

So I take it in, 2011 200 with 26,565 on it, love the car. One day, as driving, it sounds like there is a loose toolbox in the front end and I can feel it in the streering, gas pedal and the passenger is unnerved. So I take it in at 8 am on a Monday, they keep it till Tuesday and I suggest a rotor shield or something loose. They insist its my brakes (at 26.5k?). We argue, I approve it, and no, its not that. Although in some relationships I've had I would have paid way more than $20 to hear "you're right", somehow this isn't the same. As soon as I drive away, the noise is back. Good thing I have my 1969 Chevy C10 to drive around Fort Worth without HVAC and dodge tornadoes. Grrr.

So I take it back the next Monday, they keep it until Wednesday. Hey, the visor and map light are in after being on National Backorder (good band name). Ya sold a million cars, how is that? Anyway, after a 60 minute wait and after it cools off long enough to need a 5 minute drive to really get a full throated banging, the svc manager (who is very nice mind you) hears it and he says its a rack and pinion issue, and he will get a new one in. So I leave it, take the shuttle can and go without car for 3 days (now 5 total).

Weds night and most of Thursday its fine, but very tight to steer and pulls to the left. I check the invoice, and they adjusted the toe. Well, they didn't do it right, I didn't ask for that, and at no time is it correct for the car on its own want to turn left. Then an idiot pulls out in front of me, just as I am almost home. I screech to a stop from maybe 35 mph, the ABS does not activate and there is a loud "wham" inside the front end along with banging. Now I have a horrible "binding" sound if I let up on the gas, accelerate, brake or turn the steering wheel and about 30 minutes (2") into a left turn, it sounds like someone is hitting the sterring column with a wrench, really hard. Loud enough that people near intersections have pointed it out! So the car is demostrably worse now. Plus, if I turn the streering to the left, I nearly pop a "uey" and I have to crank it to the right. Tire pressure 34 all around when hot, 31 cold. I call and leave a message saying that they need to drive the damn thing before sending it back and THIS time I had better get a loaner, since I am self employed and between showing up for bids soaking wet in the 69 Chevy, it gets 8 mpg and I spent $100 in 3 days on gas. Killer. No return call since Friday 3 pm.

I've been going to a Mortiz. Is there a better dealership around here? Not having luck at Moritz, they just really seem "present" but not actively engaged. Plus, some of the answers I've heard them give to folks over the phone (well, how fast is it leaking out? Nah, it'll make it to the airport) shock the hell out of me.

Afraid to drive my lovely 1 year old red 200. What can I do? Take it to the same place for a 3rd try?
Jeremy Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:30 AM   #6
JMSawyer

Thumbs down 2012 Chrysler 200

I am on my 3rd Strut. Noise in right side b/t wheel & dash. They replaced strut. Noise still there. They ordered new strut, that was defective & sent it back. Dealer ordered a new strut, mount & other parts. Still wait for it. Almost 2 wks now. Had problems with the steering wheel shimmying when you stopped at a light or stop sign. problem went away as soon as you gave it gas. Been in 2 times for this. They downloaded a FIX??? Transmission was part of the FIX as the sensors couldn't figure out if you wanted 2nd gear & would jump to 3rd. Thought buying AMERICAN would be better now, but am very disappointed in the car. I do get great gas mileage though. 28-35. I run nitro in the tires as the tires heat up and used to go to 40psi. Now it only jumps 1-2 psi.
JMSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
JMSawyer

You are not nuts. Trouble is they "never" seem to replicate the problems! But this time I TOOK THEM OVER THE BUMPY ROAD. They heard it. Awaiting my 3rd strut. Doubt its the problem, but we will see. The noise is unnerving for sure. My passenger thought I had a flat tire & told me to pull over to check. Car is a year old.
JMSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
jbolash

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmithson63 View Post
Bought a 2011 Chrysler 200 convertible in January of this year. We are having an issue with the front end making a loud clunking noise whenever it's being driven on uneven payment/roads, over speed bumps in parking garages, roads, parking lots. It starts making this noise after it's been driven for 30 miles or so. The farther it's driven, the louder and worse it gets.

We've had it into the dealer 3 times now. The first time they "couldn't reproduce the sound" so they torqued all the front end parts and called it good. This did not fix the noise.

The 2nd time the front end tech said "sounds like a strut", however they replaced the lower control arm instead of the strut.

This time it's been in the shop for 3 weeks, because I refuse to drive a car with front end issues. How can they possibly know it's safe to drive when they have no idea what it is? They ordered craddle bushings and just got them in, now they are waiting on Chrysler to tell the tech how to put them in.

The dealer has said they have even opened a "star case" with the Chrysler engineers, and we've been told that they haven't heard of anything like this.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and if so, was the dealer able to fix it, and what was the problem? This is frustrating as the vehicle only has 5,000 miles on it, and a new car should not sound like it's falling apart every time I drive it!! I would appreciate any feedback that anyone could provide.

Thanks!
Yes my 200has the same problem on the passengers side . The dealer has had the car 3 times annd can't find the problem. My son drives this car on highway and I would like to also get this problem solved.
jbolash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
MikeM

Exclamation Chrysler 200 Front End Noise

I bought a leftover brand new 2011 Chrysler 200 Convertible in January 2012. In the spring of 2012 I started to hear a loud clanking noise from the front end. The noise was only heard after the car was driven for 25-30 miles or so and was warmed up. It made the noise when going over changes in elevation quickly on the road and/or bumps. Picture going over a speed bump it would make the clunk/clank noise as the shock/strut compressed going up and down. Clunk - Clunk.

It was obnoxious and I brought it to the dealer as soon as I could so it would get fixed while under warranty. Well I was assured the problem was fixed.

I have made a total of 5 trips to the same dealer for this specific issue since buying this vehicle. The last 4 trips were all in a 3 month span. I was told it was the control arms, the struts, the linking something, and then lastly the engine mount. The noise is still there. I have lost all patience. I am pursuing other options. This issue is inexcusable and I am very unsettled that Chrysler either doesn't know what the problem is or they have not figured out a way to resolve it.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
JonnyTbone

Default Clunking/Clanking Noise on 200S

Hi Everyone - Just an update from my original post back in July 2012. My 200S convertible no longer makes the crazy clunking/clanking noise that it had back around 10,000 miles. My car currently has 34,000 miles on it and I can't remember the last time I heard those strange noises (>9 months ago?). Reviewing some of the old posts, it seems that Jeremy Crawford had the problem "loose toolbox" sound with over 26,000 miles on his car.
JonnyTbone is offline   Reply With Quote